Friday, April 27, 2012

Gyeongsan it is!

Upon receiving my contract, I found out that I was going to be placed in a PROVINCE by the name of "Gyeongsangbuk-do."  Having been in the provinces in the Philippines, I was...worried about my health, to put it in nicer terms.  Provinces in the Philippines was made easier because I had my family around, but to live on my own?  It seemed like a bad idea.

Anyway, after much anticipation during orientation, I finally got to meet my supervisor who would tell me specifically what city and what school I'll be teaching at.  I was extremely pleased to find out I was placed in a smaller city by the name of "Gyeongsan" which is fairly close to an awesome shopping city by the name of "Daegu!  And also, that I was teaching at JeongPyeong Elementary School!  Such relief was lifted off my shoulders just finding out this information!  The odds have been in my favor...So far...

2 of the 3 things I worried about had been answered, the last one being who my co-teachers were, and what were they like.  Meet...

Allison!

Seriously, I couldn't have asked for a better co-teacher!  However, I have 2 others, but they're both amazing as well, Anna and Sian (Shawn).  Allison, Anna, and I will be teaching 6th Grade, and Sian and I will be teaching 5th grade.  So, for those of you who are wondering how it works...


I teach each class for 40 minutes, and I only see each class once a week, 7 classes with Anna, 7 classes with Allison, and 7 classes with Sian (and for my teacher friends who read this, yes, 1 lesson, per teacher, per week = awesome!)  And what do I get to do if I finish creating my lessons?  Grade papers?  No...  Level books?  No...  Sit and dick around on the internet?  HECK YEA!!!  This includes, shopping online, facebooking (which I'm already getting tired of), download videos and watch them, etc!  Life is good...

Now, I haven't met my students yet, but Korean kids...are extremely cute!  I'm working on a powerpoint on the moment where the kids learn a little about myself, and hopefully, I'll be able to take pictures and videos and post them to the blog when I get a minute :)

Before I end each blog...I'm going to post some Korean words and phrases...just because it sounds fun :)

Today's word is:  "Annyeonghi Gaseyo" (An-yong-he Gas-eyo) say to the person leaving and "Annyeonghi Gyeseyo"(An-yong-he Ge-sey-yo) say to the person staying.

Till next time!

2 comments: